Okay, so it’s not REALLY a leg lamp, but I DID get nominated for a blog award recently, which has never happened before.
What award you ask? The Liebster Award.
The award is a way to be discovered, but also to connect and support the blogging community. A great idea in promoting your own blog and others. You can learn more about the official rules here.
So, as part of this nomination you have to:
- Thank the nominator (THANKS KAREN!) and link back to them.
- Answer the questions they provided.
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs of your choosing that you think deserve recognition.
- List 11 questions to ask your nominees.
Let’s talk about me.
Random Fact #1: I still have my favorite stuffed animal from when I was an infant.
His name is Tommy, and we have seen some shit together. Not really, but he HAS survived the past 32 years relatively intact, with the exception of the leather that USED to cover his nose which was viciously eaten by my dog Teddy.
To be fair, Tommy was probably asking for it.
Random Fact #2: I collect salt & pepper shakers.
I don’t have pictures of all of them, and my collection is still in its infancy, but I do have about… 6 sets right now. I’ll post pictures of all of them in a later post (Scout honor).
Random Fact #3: I am obsessed with the color orange.
If you’ve known me for a long time, this fact won’t surprise you. For those of you who are just now starting to know me thanks to The Bloggess Tribe, you can learn more about my obsession with orange in this blog post.
Random Fact #4: I love listening to podcasts. Like every day.
I’m one of those people who will find a new podcast, listen from Episode 1, and binge listen until I get caught up.
Okay, so here are my favorite podcasts right now (in no particular order): Criminal, Welcome to Night Vale, Serial, Reply All, Radio Diaries, The Memory Palace, Alice Isn’t Dead, Lore, Mortified, Strangers, Mystery Show, Stuff You Missed In History Class
Random Fact #5: I love roadside attractions.
I’ve been to the giant Papier-mâché-looking Pochahontas statue in Pochahontas, IA, I’ve been to the giant fish in Garrison, MN, and I still have a bunch more on my bucket list. If you’ve been to some cool roadside attractions, I would love to see pictures.
Random Fact #6: I’m terrified of heights.
My husband (then boyfriend) asked me to go on the Wild Thing with him one summer at Valley Fair, and I didn’t want to ruin our date so I didn’t say anything. It wasn’t until we were on the initial incline and he noticed that I was starting to hyperventilate that he asked what was wrong and I told him. By that point it was a little too late. I told him if he bought the picture of me almost weeping after we got off the ride that he was walking home.
Random Fact #7: I love thrift store shopping.
Random Fact #8: I almost bought a mounted Jackalope head with a missing ear because I wanted to put a top hat and bowtie on him and name him “Fred Ast-hare.”
Random Fact #9: I want to be a mascot – like crazy bad.
Think about it – when you’re in a costume, people just want to high five you, or take their picture with you, or hug you – it’s the best! Just for ONE DAY I would love to be a mascot of some sort.
I’M PUTTING IT OUT THERE, UNIVERSE! DON’T LEAVE ME HANGING!
Random Fact #10: I want to travel to Japan.
Random Fact #11: I love skeleton keys.
I’ve always loved them. So much so that I recently bought one as part of a sculpture, and I plan to get 2 tattooed on my body with modifications so each one represents my children.
So, here are the questions I need to answer:
- What or who inspired you to write a blog? Both my parents have been in the newspaper industry my whole life, and before I decided to pursue graphic design at school, I toyed with the idea of getting a journalism degree instead. I’ve always enjoyed reading and writing, and have always been better at expressing myself through written word, so it just seemed like the right move to make.
- How long have you been blogging? I started blogging WAY BACK in 2004 when I had a Live Journal account. It still exists – I didn’t deactivate it apparently. It’s a disturbing time capsule of my college years.
- What do you do, or did you do in your life as a job? My degree is in Graphic Design, and that is what my career path post-college started on. Eventually it morphed into a career in Marketing, and then Social Media and Digital Marketing. Currently my official title is “Digital Content Manager” at a local non-profit.
- How did you come up with the name of your blog? An old coworker used to jokingly refer to me as his “Crayon Girl” because I was so creative, and so when I signed up for Twitter way back in June of 2011, I gave myself the name @crayongirl_linz and decided to keep it simple by repeating the name when I started blogging again back in 2014.
- What are your hobbies? I like to read, ride my bike, play games like Professor Layton on my Nintendo DS, paint, take pictures, go for walks, sew sock monkeys, kickbox
- What is your favorite song ever, and why? I don’t know if I have a favorite song. I could tell you my current favorite, which is “Dangerous” by Big Data. I love songs with a nice bass beat, and this song makes me really happy.
- Which do you prefer dogs or cats? Dogs, definitely. I’m slightly allergic to cats, but I’ve always had a soft spot for dogs. Someday I’d like to get a Golden Doodle or an Irish Wolfhound.
- Where are you originally from and where do you live now? I was born and raised in Iowa, and grew up in a small farming community in the NW before we moved to Le Mars when I was 14. I moved to Minneapolis for college when I was 17 and I’ve been in Minnesota ever since.
- If you had only 3 wishes what would you wish for? Improved mental health, to be financially sound, and the continued health and happiness of my children.
- What is your addiction? Coffee – no question. That and my phone.
- Who is your favorite blogger and why? The Bloggess, just because she can make me laugh no matter what she says, and she also let’s everyone have a safe harbor to talk about their issues and struggles judgement free.
Now it’s my turn to nominate some blogs.
- Daci Jaye – this is the blog of my coworker Daci, who writes about her life and family, and shares lovely photos of all of them in her posts. She’s funny, a great writer, and like a million times cooler than I am. You should check her out.
- Birth of a New Brain – my friend Dyane writes this lovely blog about her life and living with bipolar disorder.
- Rena Olsen – Rena is a friend from high school who is soon going to be a published author! I’m so excited for her! You should check her out and learn about her book (not just because I say so)
- Accidental Euphoria – I find her adventures refreshing and fun: her blog makes me wish I lived in Texas
- Life with my Spouse – Kaira Lansing offers a fresh insight into a world I know nothing about: being a step-mom. Not only that, but she shares a variety of her own published works, words of wisdom, and I just generally enjoy what she has to say.
Okay, last but not least, my list of questions for my nominees:
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- What’s your most random memory from your childhood?
- If you could be any super hero, who would you be and why?
- What is your favorite movie of all time?
- Which is your favorite season?
- If you had to be an animal, which would you choose?
- Where do you get your inspiration?
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is your favorite thing to listen to when writing?
- What brings you joy?
And that’s it! Thanks for playing, I hope you found this post as enjoyable to read as it was to write, and I’ll see you on the flippity flop. Peace out!